Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Christmas 2011: Part 1

Happy New Year Everyone!

I took a break from blogging during the holiday season but I'm back with lots of pictures and fun stories. This year was especially fun because A, soon to be three, was old enough this year to really get into the Christmas cheer.

Granny is no longer with us but her traditions and love for Christmas stay tucked very near to my heart. One special thing we always did at Granny and Pappa's was a "Happy Birthday Jesus (HBJ)" cake and reading the nativity story from the Bible before opening gifts.

 I made the cake and not only was it was my first non disastrous attempt at fondant, I somehow managed to make a chocolate cake from scratch that was moist and delicious. This year I saved myself a few hours and topped the cake with silk flowers but look forward to getting more practice and time (says the Mom of 2 boys, two and under) to make my own edible flowers someday. Stay tuned... as there will be more cake attempts this January with all the upcoming birthdays.

4 mini layers of dark chocolate cake layered with green tinted mint buttercream and crushed Andes mints, covered in marshmallow fondant. 

Speaking of celebrating Jesus' birthday, we discovered a local church that puts on a charming live nativity display complete with live animals, and a real camel visiting all the way from St. Louis.










Of course, A spent the whole ride home talking about the"camel's yellow pee pee waterfall", but  he seemed to find a greater appreciation for the nativity set when we got home.



 Snow can be hit or miss here but sometimes weather conditions are only limited by our creativity. In my oppinion every Christmas should be a white Christmas, even if your snowball fights are indoors. 

 
 
   



  To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment